Bryan Caulfield, Clearwater car accident attorney, is your go-to source for explaining personal injury protection (PIP) insurance if you have been involved in a car accident.
Florida State Legislatures have made sweeping changes to the PIP insurance laws that will affect how insurance companies interpret the amount of compensation insurance is distributed to automobile accident victims. These new laws went into effect January 1, 1013.
It is a well-known fact that Florida has been vulnerable to extensive insurance fraud, and these new laws are being implemented to prevent this from occurring. However, because most State Legislatures are not lawyers, and are lacking knowledge in this area, the average State Legislature in Florida would be unable to fully interpret the effect these changes will impose on the citizens of Florida, in addition to Florida businesses, law enforcement, and our court system.
While these laws were passed to prevent insurance fraud, they appear to benefit the insurance companies more than the citizens of Florida.
PIP benefits coverage and conditions are listed below:
- 80% of total medical expenses
- 60% of lost wages
- 80% of prescription costs (out-of-pocket)
- Reimbursement for mileage (this rate will vary by insurance company)
- You must seek medical attention for your injuries within 14 days of the accident for a non-emergency injury, and the maximum benefit is $2,500.
- Emergency medical conditions must be verified by a M.D., D.D.S. Physician Assistant, or ARNP, and medical treatment must be given within 14 days of the accident. All of these conditions must be met in order to qualify for PIP coverage of $10,000 which includes any follow-up medical care. Under the new law, chiropractic, massage, and acupuncture services are not covered by PIP insurance providers.
Clearwater Car Accident Attorney
Bryan Caulfield is Clearwater’s car accident attorney who has assisted hundreds of clients injured by careless or negligent drivers in recovering the compensation they deserve. While these new laws may be daunting to someone unfamiliar with the laws and court system, Bryan Caulfield is considered an expert and will fight for your rights.