In the chaos following a car accident, it is difficult to know exactly what needs to take place to restore order to your life and recover from any injuries. Emotions are heightened and confusion can add to the problems at hand. Injuries must be handled properly to ensure you receive the financial restitution you need to pay for your bills and healing.
Checklist if you are Injured in a Car Accident in FL
Following is a checklist of important steps to take after a car accident in Florida:
- Remain at the sight of the accident until it has been deemed appropriate to leave. Leaving the crash scene early could lead to criminal charges.
- Assess the condition of drivers and passengers in each vehicle involved. Call for emergency medical help if necessary.
- Contact the police as soon as possible. Ask for police to file the proper reports. In cases where significant property damage has occurred or there are personal injuries or even death of a victim, Florida’s laws are very specific on what must be included in the report. Ask for a copy for your records.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with other drivers of all vehicles involved.
- Do not admit fault. Unknown or hidden circumstances can play a role in who is at fault.
- Take pictures of the damage and of the conditions at the time of the wreck.
- Ask witnesses for their contact information and save for future reference.
- Contact your insurance provider as quickly as possible to inform them that you have been involved in a car crash. Tampa, FL residents are under new insurance time limits. It is critical that all insurance matters are handled in a very timely manner.
- Get medical care if necessary and maintain detail records of all doctor visits and bills. Also keep good records of any physical therapy that may be required for your complete recovery.
- Contact Bryan Caulfield to ensure all your rights are protected. Do not settle with an insurance company for less than you should.
Each of these steps is vital in any accident. The accident attorneys at Perenich Caulfield can help ensure you have the best possible outcome from any negative events or injuries resulting from a car accident.