It is difficult to think that a day out with friends on a boat could result in devastating and even life-threatening injuries; however, this is an unfortunate fact for many people. Most, if not all, of these accidents could be prevented by heeding some simple safety rules.
Alcohol On Deck and Accidents
While it may be tempting to want to kick back and have a drink or two of alcohol, it is wise to remember that alcohol is the number one reason for accidental deaths in boating accidents. People seem to forget that staying hydrated is imperative while boating, and drinking alcoholic beverages quickly dehydrates us. Alcohol combined with sun and heat is a dangerous combination, and U.S. Coast Guard statistics for 2011 indicate that deaths from boating accidents were due to the use of alcohol in 16 percent of boating accidents for that year.
Other Reasons for Boating Accidents in FL
Obviously, there are other causes for boating accidents on deck and these include:
- Slip and fall accidents on deck
- Tripping over lines or cords running crossways across the deck
- Lack of life jackets and flotation devices for every person on board-the Coast Guard states that 84 percent of all drowning accidents are due to failure to wear a life jacket
- Lack of first-aid kits and other emergency equipment
- Boat failure
- Stormy weather-always check
- Excessive speed
FL Boating Accident Representation
If you have suffered injuries in a boat deck accident, you need to contact Bryan Caulfield, Florida’s boating accident attorney.