Thousands of lives are lost in accidents each year involving drunk drivers. Strict laws and severe punishments appear to be ineffective in deterring drivers from driving drunk.
The tips below may help you avoid a serious or fatal accident with a drunk driver if you can steer clear of drivers who:
- Driving considerably over or under the posted speed limits
- Driving erratically seemingly unable to stay in their lane of traffic
- Approach a stop light too fast
- Drive too close to the rear of your car or another driver’s car
- Frequently change lanes
- Have vehicle windows down regardless of the weather being cold, and/or rainy
- Drive at dusk or after dark without headlamps on
- Seem distracted by passengers in their vehicle
When you’re driving at any time it’s important to check all directions when approaching an intersection before you proceed through the intersection. Most of us are guilty of attempting to drive through an intersection on amber, and just ahead of the red light. However, this is an especially dangerous threat to everyone’s safety when you consider how deadly this decision can be if your timing is off by a few seconds. When a driver is driving drunk, their timing and distance perception is extremely skewed. Protect yourself and your passengers by taking the time to observe other cars before you enter an intersection, even when you have the right away.
By practicing the above safety tips, you will develop defensive driving techniques that will help you steer clear of drunk drivers.
Pinellas Drunk Driving Victims’ Representation
If you are a victim of a drunk driver, contact Bryan Caulfield, Pinellas, FL drunk driving victims’ lawyer, today for a free consultation. We want to help you restore your life to what it was before your accident.