When you’re preparing to take your boat out to sea, it’s imperative to prepare for the unexpected. Weather changes can and do occur rapidly. What may appear to be a bright and calm weather day ahead, can turn into a raging and stormy nightmare, even when the weather reports predict otherwise.
5 Ways to Keep Your Boat Safe at Sea Include:
- Familiarize yourself with maintaining and repairing your boat, including motor, electrical, gas lines, water pumps, etc. If you are going out to sea, having a larger than normal pump, and proper size battery to run it, may save your life.
- Perform routine safety checks before heading out to sea.
- Check to make sure your boat’s cockpit deck is water tight. Use sealants if there is any hint of water leaking in. You do not want to be out in the middle of the sea, only to discover water filling up your boat.
- Make sure your boat is properly weight balanced.
- Make sure cable liners do not contain holes that will allow water to seep in.
For your personal safety, always wear a life jacket, and insist that everyone else do the same. Also, carry more life jackets than required. Spend the money to ensure all life jackets are sea-worthy with pockets for lightweight drinking water containers filled to capacity. It is also highly recommended that you carry a strobe light on board your boat.
Boat Accident Representation in Tampa
If you have been involved in a boating accident in Tampa, Bryan Caulfield is a well-known Tampa boat accident attorney. Contact Bryan Caulfield today for a free consultation regarding your legal options.