It is a rare person who escapes having at least one auto accident some time during their lifetime. Understanding how to protect yourself during an auto accident can save you a great deal of emotional distress, as well as save you from enormous financial losses.
Some tips on how to protect yourself during an auto accident include:
- ALWAYS stop, regardless of who is at fault. If you fear leaving your car, and can use your cell phone, call law enforcement, and explain your situation. If you leave the scene, even if you have hit a parked car with no occupants, you could be charged with leaving the scene of an accident.
- If you are not injured, check to see if anyone has been injured.
- Call law enforcement to report all accidents, and where they occurred, in addition to asking for emergency medical help if necessary.
- Exchange insurance information with any other parties involved.
- Never get into a verbal exchange about who is or is not at fault. Tell the truth without directly admitting fault until you have talked with your lawyer.
- If possible, take pictures.
- Obtain the names, telephone numbers, and addresses of any witnesses willing to testify on your behalf.
- Document what happened as soon as possible. You will forget important details over time, so the sooner, the better.
Auto Accident Representation in Tampa Bay
If you have been involved in a car accident, it’s important to contact your Tampa Bay auto accident attorney, Bryan Caulfield, as soon as possible to discuss your legal options.