When you or a loved one is injured by another party’s negligence, you will probably be dealing with their insurance company in trying to recoup your damages. It is important to understand that insurance adjusters often implement a variety of tactics to pressure claimants into settling for less than they are entitled. After all, it is their job to save the insurance company as much money as possible. Thus, it is imperative that you partner with an experienced Tampa Bay area personal injury attorney to assist you and help ensure that you recover the full and fair amount you are entitled to be paid under the applicable insurance policy.
Below are a few examples of the strategies used by insurance adjustors to persuade claimants to settle for the lowest amount possible:
- Unreasonable delays. Adjustors know that when you are injured, you have overwhelming medical bills and you may not be able to work. As a result, most claimants are anxious to receive a check from the insurance company. Thus, the adjustors use delay tactics to not only wear you down, but to make you more desperate. This allows them to make a low-ball offer that many injured individuals will accept just so they can pay their bills.
- Onerous requests for information. An insurance adjuster may also try to wear you down by making numerous and burdensome requests for documentation and other information. The requested information may have minimal impact on the amount of your settlement, but the adjustor hopes you will accept a reduced amount in order to avoid dealing with the hassle they are causing you.
- Disputing treatment expenses. Insurance companies commonly dispute your claim or question the need for the medical treatment you are seeking to have approved.
- Deter you from retaining a lawyer. Although insurance companies have teams of attorneys, they will discourage you from obtaining your own legal counsel. The adjustor will try to convince you that spending money on an attorney is unnecessary. However, the real motive is to prevent you from having an aggressive and knowledgeable advocate fighting for you.
- Make misrepresentations. Some of the more unscrupulous adjustors may even make misrepresentations to you. This may include misrepresenting the benefits available under the applicable policy or misstating the amount of insurance coverage.
Don’t fall victim to the above strategies or settle for less than you deserve. A single collision can affect your life forever. Let an experienced Tampa Bay area automobile accident lawyer be your voice and help you recover damages so you can move on with your life. Bryan Caulfield is a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer, which means you can rest assured that you are in good hands when you choose him to represent you. For a free and immediate consultation with an auto accident lawyer, call Bryan Caulfield at 1-800-535-2529 or contact Bryan online. You only pay a fee or costs once Bryan has won your case. If no recovery is made, you owe nothing!